Dr Martin Price is Director of Martin Price Associates since 1996. He is an experienced consultant, who has had a number of senior management roles in the voluntary sector in Wales.
Presently, Dr Price is Chair of The Institute of Fundraising Cymru and a UK Trustee of the Institute. He is Vice Chair of the BBC Wales Charity Advisory Forum, which advises on BBC Children in Need applications and allocates charity broadcasts in Wales.
He is a Board Member of the Development Trusts Association Wales and of Social Firms Wales. He is also a Member of the Institute of Business Consultants and the Operational Research Society.
He is non-executive Chair of the largest social firm in Wales – Pack-IT Ltd in Cardiff Bay, which employs people with a learning disability. Pack-IT was European Social Firm of the Year 2009.
For three years, he was a Trustee of a Cardiff-based charity – ABCD, which helps children and young people from ethnic minorities who have disabilities and was Chair of Governors of a voluntary-aided secondary school in Barry for eight years from 1998.
He contributes regular articles to the Times Education Supplement Cymru and was a member of the Court and Council of Aberystwyth University for six years.
He is a Chartered Statistician with an MSc and PhD in Statistics and has been a member of the Royal Statistical Society for more than thirty years.
He is currently editor for Charitynews-UK, the UK arm of the prestigious US CharityChannel e-mail discussion groups, and has contributed a number of book reviews to CharityChannel.
He ran the South Wales operation of The Prince’s Youth Business Trust, helping some 400 disadvantaged young people into self-employment over a period of three years and worked with Business in the Community in Wales, setting up Employee Volunteering schemes, forging links between companies and the voluntary sector. He also set up the Fundraising Operation for Mencap in Wales in their Fiftieth Anniversary year.
He was Project Manager for HRH The Prince of Wales’ Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Investiture, organising Royal Visits and three garden parties at Castles around Wales.
Dr Price has sixteen years experience at a senior level in the commercial sector with British Gas plc, acting as an internal consultant on Operational Research projects, Corporate Planning, Business Strategies, Management Buy-Outs and managed the Information Technology Centre for British Gas in Wales.
Recent Research and Evaluation Work
- Evaluation of the Llanelli Arts Hub project for the Foothold Group.
- Big Lottery Fund Research – Exit Strategies – factors for success. An extensive project involving a sample of over 200 Community Fund grantholders in Wales, Northern Ireland, East of England, North East England and England-wide. The research was conducted by face-to-face interviews, telephone interviews, focus groups and desk research. Conclusions were based on both quantitative and qualitative analysis. The report has been published by the Community Fund; a summary document and the full report is available at www.biglotteryfund.org.uk .
- A mapping exercise for Social Firms Wales to find and catalogue the extent of existing and emerging social firms.
- An evaluation of LAG2 – Llanelli, Amman Gwendraeth – a programme of community development-related capacity building activities in Carmarthenshire. The programme was delivered by a partnership consisting of Foothold Community Specialists, Amman Valley Enterprises and Menter Cwm Gwendraeth.
- The evaluation of the Partnership Initiatives Budget Grant Scheme for the Legal Services commission and the Big Lottery Fund